Monday, December 8, 2008

The Elf on the Shelf


Way back in May, McMommy wrote a post about The Elf on the Shelf.

It was love at first sight.

There was just something about that little creepy looking footless cute elf.

I knew I had to have one.

Then I forgot all about it because it was May and all I had on my mind at the time was end-of-school parties.

And vacation.

And the pool.

I digress.

McMommy recently wrote a reminder post about The Elf on the Shelf.

I am nothing if not forgetful.

And a follower.

And so with that gentle reminder I searched high and low for my own Elfie.

Today our eyes met while I was drooling over a Vera Bradley bag in Hallmark.


There he was.

In a box.

Ready for me to take him home.

So I did.

Have you heard about The Elf on the Shelf?

It is such a cute idea.

You just purchase the box that includes the hardback book and the Elf.

You read the book to your family.

In the story it tells how Santa can not be everywhere to check on the boys and girls so he sends his elves.

They keep an eye on everyone during the day.

Then each night the elves "fly" back to Santa and let him know who has been naughty and who has been nice.

You place the elf somewhere in your home and the next morning the elf is in a different spot.

The kids will run around to find where the Elf is each morning.

Sounds fun...right?

I just hope I remember to move him.

I am not so good at the remembering you know.

Maybe McMommy will send me a reminder email to move him each night. *wink*

26 comments:

Emily Roetzel said...

Glad you found one. I might not be able to sleep at night knowing he was moving around though ;)

Stephanie said...

I have been meaning to get one! I have heard of them. Thank YOU for the reminder :)

Unknown said...

Never heard of this elusive elf...I am now intrigued...I must find one. Happy happy!

Annie said...

I don't know...he's kinda creepy and he remeinds me of clowns. I don't do clowns. Now elves...shudder.

Just stopping over from Cheaper than Therapy.

Fun blog!

Sheri and George said...

I have never heard of this elf. Cute idea. Hope you remember to move him each night.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

OK, he is a little creepy without feet. Maybe you could put some Bratz shoes on him?
I can't remember where I hid all the Christmas presents I have bought already. Good luck with remembering to move him!

Julie said...

That is a really cute idea but I would never remember to move it everyday! Good luck :)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

I was just telling hubby about the elf last night...he seemed puzzled...I don't think he gets it.

I think we'll get it next year. I only wish the elf wasn't so dang scary!

McMommy said...

God as my witness.....

You just reminded me to MOVE THE ELF!!!!

So it's my turn to thank YOU! :)

duchess said...

If my kids still believed in Santa this might give me something to hold over them but no such luck.
He is kinda cute in a weird, creepy sorta way.

Marla said...

i ordered mine right after i read that way back when so i wouldn't forget... now every day i forget to read them the story... :)

just jamie said...

Oh, I hate when I miss out on your posts, because then I miss great ideas like this. Too cute. Love it. I'll forget tomorrow, but today my friend, I love it! :)

pb&j in a bowl said...

I've looked everywhere for one of these. I had to improvise- we have the reindeer on the floor. He moves around and reports back to Santa. I told Maddie that all of the elves were already taken and Santa had to send his reindeer. It worked.

Susan said...

A good friend of mine just told me about this the other day and I haven't come across one yet. Thanks for the Hallmark tip. I will try that tomorrow if I can find a spare minute. I think Austin would love it!

Unknown said...

A friend of mine mentioned this at dinner tonight. I am SO getting one of these. And I do remember McMommy's post about it. Hope you are successful with it!

Lauren in GA said...

I want one so badly!! My husband says it is a waste of money...*sigh* Waste this, Mike *pffffffffft*

amanda said...

oh how fun this will be when beans is older!!

can't wait to hear how much your kiddos love him :)

Ileana said...

I love it!

I'll have to get one now. Ah, Elf on the Shelf... GENIOUS!

Oh,and check out this amazing site this is going to INSPIRE THE WORLD IN 25 DAYS:

www.thegiftrevolution.com

God bless you!

Sinner Saved by Grace,
Ileana

jen aka mommay said...

This is our second year with Eldon the Elf. Our elf, um, forgets to visit Santa every night and goes every other night most of the time.

and that reminds me I need to move him! lol

Amy said...

My neighbor told me about this. I must get one. Anything that will make them act better, huh?

Anonymous said...

We love our Elf Buddie. I told the kids as soon as I read McMommy's post that our family may be chosen as a special family to have an elf come live with us. My oldest who's 6 was terrified! She knew she was in trouble. But, believe me it hasn't slowed her behavior down!

Melissa said...

I have heard about this little guy. I will have to try to find one :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Sounds like a fun little tradition. Kids no doubt love this! Maybe I should look.... yeah, on line cause I live in the middle of nowheresville!

Laural Out Loud said...

I've been wanting to do this for years! Maybe this year I'll do it. If I can find the time to get to the Hallmark store (the only place I've seen them). But I have to tell you, those footless legs are creeping me out a bit!

Grammy Staffy said...

What a cute idea. I will have to look for one for my grandkids

Carol said...

Ohhhh I need one of those.

I wonder if it'd work all year round?