Thursday, September 25, 2008

SO GRATEFUL FOR AIR AND GAS!!!

The past two weeks poor Cole has had a couple of "spots" on his face.

I determined that is was quite possibly a mild case of chicken pox.

Mild meaning he had three "spots" on his face.

Very mild.

Cole's preschool teacher confirmed it.

He continued to go to school as the places were drying in and there was no fever.

Two of the "spots" went away.

The "spot" on his cheek kept getting bigger.

A growing pox? Hmmmm.

When I picked Cole up yesterday from school, he had three new spots.

Tiny, but "spots".

I drove straight to the doctors office to get to the bottom of it.

She would not confirm that he had at any point had chicken pox.

She said it was possible.

But the spot on his cheek was infected.

Nice.

She gave me a prescription for an antibiotic and topical ointment and sent me on my way.

I was relieved to know these "spots" would soon be gone.

Later that evening as we sat waiting for Claire's dance class to dismiss, I noticed Cole felt warm.

By the time we arrived home he was shivering and holding his chest saying he hurt.

When I asked exactly where he hurt he pointed to the area of his heart.

At that point my heart started racing.

Rapidly.

He was better by bed time, but still had fever.

About 2:30am Cole woke up in agonizing pain.

He kept holding his chest and crying.

He could not get comfortable.

A thousand possible case scenarios raced through my head.

I knew one of them was not going to be my four-year-old having a heart attack in my family room.

Chad dressed and whisked him away to the emergency room.

He was gone a few hours.

I was a wreck.

I paced the floor and cried not knowing what was wrong with my baby.

That and I caught up on the days laundry and dishes.

Finally he returned home to me.

He was smiling and excited to show me his hospital bracelet and stickers.

I asked what his diagnosis was.

Chad said that they confirmed the skin infection.

They said to continue the antibiotic.

And to give him Tylenol for the fever.

And the chest pains and trembling?

The chest x-rays showed excessive air.

My child had gas!

I said a prayer of thanks for air and gas.

Never have I been so grateful for either.

34 comments:

Susan said...

Poor you and poor Cole!
I hope he will be feeling better soon. I'm so glad that it was just gas. That is so scary!

Inspired Kara said...

Thank you God for keeping Cole safe!!

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Oh, poor Cole! Should be fun getting that gas out!!!

I hope he feels better soon. We just got back from the doctor, too.

Stacy Birk said...

Oh my... it is scary though.

I went to the ER in high school with excessive chest pain, I thought I was having a heart attack too. It ended up being gas, a lot of it. All bundled up there in my chest. My parents could have killed me when they saw the ER bill for that one. :)

At least he is ok.

Rach (Mommy Learns to Blog) said...

Poor little guy - did they give him some simethicone or something to help get rid of all that extra air?

I'm sorry you had such a scary night!

Wendy said...

Crazy how many thoughts can pass through a mom's mind when your child is hurting.

Glad things turned out okay!

Unknown said...

Oh Honey, I am sorry you had that scare! So glad he's ok!!

Stephanie said...

Oh my that IS a terrible scare! I am so glad it was nothing more serious than that. I'm glad he is okay and smiling now! Whew!

The Mom Jen said...

Thankful for gas, definately!! Wow, what a scary night, i'm so glad it turned out to be nothing serious, poor little guy!!

amanda said...

oh poor cole!! and i can't imagine how much of a wreck you were pacing the floor waiting for news!!

hugs to you both :)

The Reeds said...

Wow what a day or should I say night.
I am glad that everything turned out to be ok and that it was only excessive air.

I guess you won't mind the next time your kids let out a little squeaker. :)

Grammy Staffy said...

What a hard time to go through for Cole, Chad and you. I am sorry for all of the stress but thankful that it all worked out o.k. whew...what a relief.

I just goofed... I saw your Mr. Linky page and signed up....not realizing that I'd already done it.....dah....sorry....so delete one of me.


Also I think I did the email contact thing on my profile that you asked us to do.... I'm trying to be a good grammy and get these things done....the problem is I never know if I've done them right... I am a novice on the computer.

Hope Cole's infection clears up quickly. Love, Grammy Lura

Forgetfulone said...

I'm so glad it wasn't something more serious!

Jen said...

So glad to hear that it was just gas. That must have been SO SCARY!!

Erin said...

What a scary thing to go through. I'm glad the doctor got it figured out!

I wish I felt thankful for my husband's gas... maybe we need to go to the emergency room, cuz it never goes away! :)

Rachel said...

Poor little guy..I am glad he is feeling better. I hope you all can get a good nights rest.

duchess said...

I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time.
Poor Cole. That can be really scary for a kid.
I'm so thankful that it was no big deal.
How weird for it to happen all at once.

At least you're caught up on your chores.

As Cape Cod Turns said...

Yay for gas!!! That must have been so scary!!!! Yikes!

Jennifer said...

OMG what a scare! I'm so glad he's ok!!

Kristen said...

Oh my goodness, I was so scared reading this.

I kept thinking, what is wrong with little Cole??

So glad to hear it was gas. Can I say he might be related to Cade?? hee hee!

Again, so glad to hear friend that your little one is ok and safe and sound at home. :)

Unknown said...

Oh, honey, I am so glad he is okay.

I would have been worried sick.

Thank God for gas!

pb&j in a bowl said...

Oh man, I would have been terrified. Glad he's better.

Carol said...

How scary.

So glad it turned out perfectly harmless.

McMommy said...

Wendi, that must have been so scary! I'm with you....THANK YOU GOD FOR GAS!!!!! :)

Lisa said...

That sounds scary!!! And gas? Who'd of thunk it?

Lisa said...

That sounds scary!!! And gas? Who'd of thunk it?

Laural Out Loud said...

So glad it was just gas! That would be so hard to wait and wonder.

That actually happened to me in college. Imagine my embarrassment as the ER doctor showed me on my x-ray where all my gas was.

Mom said...

I would have been a mess, so glad all turned out alright.

Velma said...

You must be soooo relieved! Thank goodness!

just jamie said...

Oh, good grief! Whew. Those hours you waited while they were at the ER must have been agonizing. So glad he' okay...

Unknown said...

i am so glad i am not the only one! i had to go to the emergency room when i was younger because we thought my appendix burst but it was gas.. (due to my uncles backed beans- which are now called $400.00 beans!) but it hurts! i am glad he is feeling better :)

Marla said...

scary story... i don't know how you didn't go with him... so glad he is better

Anti-Supermom said...

So scary, but happy that it appears to have turned out OK.

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

Scary!